Thursday, October 15, 2009

North and South

My friend Sherri told me about this movie years ago, but I didn't watch it until recently. It is based on a book by Elizabeth Gaskell, who was writing in the nineteenth century. I read the book and liked it, but I loved the movie. I stayed up until after 2 in the morning watching it and then rewatched the last hour the next day. It got hazy near the end there.

Margaret Hall is a young woman who is raised with her cousin in London. When her cousin marries, she goes back to live with her parents in the vicarage of a picturesque village. Her father is a vicar but has doubts about the church and feels he can no longer be a part of the ministry. So shortly after she comes back, her father moves her and her mother to a dank and dirty town in the north of England. At first Margaret dislikes the north and always is comparing it with the more genteel and idyllic south. However, she grows to accept her circumstances and starts to adjust.

Because he has left the ministry, her father now teaches private students and has very little income. One of his students is a local factory owner, the rich but rough John Thornton. He wants to become more cultured and so takes lessons with Mr. Hall. Thornton and Margaret pretty much hate each other on site, so of course they're going to fall in love, right? The story follows their developing relationship but also deals with the tension between the factory owners and workers. There's also tension between Thornton's mother and Margaret. The mom is a fearsome character. Talk about a potentially terrible mother-in-law. I'm not sure I would have had the fortitude to marry Jared if his mom had been like that. Also, I'm not sure I would have married him if his name were Chester, so thanks for not doing that Sisko.

Ok, confession time. I liked the movie way better than the book. I know, this is blasphemy coming from an English major. What can I say? I have no excuse. Although part of the reason is the actor who plays Thornton. He's all Mr. Rochestery (yes, that is the official literary term) and makes the movie. If you are a fan of period pieces, you will probably like this movie. If you're not a fan of period pieces, then well I don't know you.

2 comments:

Amy Sheppard said...

I agree. It is a good book but a great movie, one of my favorites. I feel the same way about Gaskell as I do about Dickens. I always seem to like the movies better than the books. (Not being an English major, I feel no shame admitting this.:))

Melody said...

I love Rochestery men. I'll have to remember this one!