Thursday, January 22, 2009

Happy Birthday Haley

Today is my sister Haley's birthday. She passed away shortly after her thirteenth birthday, but she would have been 21 today. Haley had Down's Syndrome and was born with three holes in her heart. She had heart issues all her life and died while waiting for a heart/lung transplant in the Tucson heart hospital. This is a picture of us just over ten years ago.
Since Haley loved her birthday, I decided to do a post about her today on her most favorite of days. Haley liked her birthday so much that she would talk about it all year long. When she first met my sister-in-law, she told Amy that her birthday was coming up soon. Amy asked her when it was, expecting her to say June or July since it was the early summer. She was a little surprised when Haley said, "After Christmas." (Amy, I just found that story written down on a pad of paper I used to write down stories people told me about Haley just after her death.)

Haley loved just about everyone and everything, except bread and chores and, for some odd reason, her achievement day leader. I swear the lady was one of the nicest women in the ward, but Haley just detested her. When I would go pick her up, Haley would meet me at the door and say something like, "Oh good, you're here. Let's get out of here." She didn't even want to stay and eat dessert. Other than that, though, she tended to love everyone, and everyone loved her. When she was in the hospital, she had no less than three birthday parties arranged by different people wanting to celebrate with her. A couple of the girls in her school came down to have a party when I was there. The mom told me that her daughter had talked about Haley, this funny girl in her p.e. class, the whole year. However, she didn't mention that Haley had Down's Syndrome until she got sick and the daughter wanted to go down to Tucson to wish her a happy birthday. Haley was just another kid in her class at school.

Shortly before Haley got sick, I took her with me to Target. We tried on hats, and I bought her a cheese pizza and a rootbeer at the snack bar. As we were leaving the store, she grabbed my hand and told me I was the best sister ever. I have to say that whenever she was happy with me, I was the best. Whenever she was unhappy, I was her step-sister. But even knowing that we have three other sisters and that each one had been the best sister ever at one point or another, I still felt like I was the best. Haley was like that. I remember one of my uncles coming up to me at the funeral and telling me pretty much the same thing- that his family liked visiting us because Haley always made them feel like they were her favorite people. She made everyone feel like that.

When Haley was in the hospital, she spent a lot of time entertaining her doctors and nurses. One time she was getting her nails painted when the surgeon came in. She insisted that he couldn't leave until he got his nails done too, so he agreed to get his pinky painted. Even the big-shot doctors did what Haley wanted. Because she had such an open and loving personality, she opened doors for other kids like her. One of the nurses told my sister-in-law that they hadn't admitted any kids with Down's Syndrome into the transplant program before Haley because they thought the quality of life just wasn't there. However, after they experienced Haley and all her hilarious quirks, they changed their minds about what kind of life a person with Down's Syndrome can have.

As you can tell, Haley brought a lot of joy into my life and I miss her. I love you Haley!

8 comments:

Lynnette said...

I miss Haley, too! She was such a sweetheart, and could always make me laugh. If only everyone could have that much zest for life! Thanks for sharing.

Karen P said...

I remember she was always so fun! What a sweetheart!

Hanne said...

You might have been Haley's best sister ever, but I was her best cousin ever! At least that's what she always told me! She had a personality that would light up any room she was in and everyone did love her. I remember her passion for Power Rangers and insisted we watch it every time I hung out with her!

James & Tara Huish said...

Oh Jessie, what a great post! Just the other day I was thinking about Haley and about how darn cute she was. No one could help but to love her!

It was so fun to see you the other day! You are still one of my most favorite people:) And I'm glad I found your blog so I can keep updated on your life!

Tara

Melody said...

What a sweet post! I still think of Haley all the time and love all the fond memories I have of her. I remember how she loved Miss Hannigan (and other villains) and would even pray for them, right? :) The way you helped care for her was always such an inspiration and example to me.

Katrina said...

What a beautiful tribute to your sister! That would be so hard to say goodbye. I just know you were the best sister ever because of how sweet you are.

Marsie said...

Jessi, Reading this made me laugh and cry. I miss Haley!

Marsie

Wendy said...

You are one of MY favorite people too.